Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Running in Ohio Update: Two out of Three Ain't Bad

Well, I'm back from my week at home with the family for Thanksgiving. I had a wonderful time bonding with my nephew and despite the frigid temps, got some good running in as well. My goal was to do three runs when I was at home:

- My short 5K run
- Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot
- My long 10 mile run

Short run - check! Turkey Trot - check! 10 mile run - oops.

I'm still pretty proud of myself anyway. I did my short 5K run on Wednesday and the weather was actually pretty pleasant. I was able to run in just a long sleeve T-shirt and shorts. But the next morning? Yikes! It was a miracle I made it there. First, I overslept (jetlag is a beeyotch). Second, my mom wakes me up to tell me that it's cold, windy, AND raining and should I still be running the Turkey Trot? Third, the car I'm supposed to drive to downtown Cleveland has less than a quarter tank of gas. Fourth, I only paid $18 so it wouldn't be that big of a loss if I skipped it. And so on, and so on...

BUT I did make it. And yep, it was FREEZING! I would guess somewhere in the 30-40's. It was about that cold last year, too, but I don't remember it being that windy (the wind stole my confirmation form on the way to registration) and it definitely wasn't raining. By the way, during the race, the rain turned into snow before our very eyes. Exciting stuff. (not) Luckily, I packed the perfect clothes for this weather. I actually didn't end up using my headband or gloves but I did use my new Northface running jacket with little thumbholes so you can sort of tuck your hands into the sleeves. One of my TNT teammates used hers during our rainy long run and I thought it was so cute and handy that I immediately went out and bought one for myself. It was perfect as it kept me nice and dry but not too hot. I just wore a running tank underneath. I also busted out my running tights which I don't wear too often because I don't like highlighting the awesomeness of my booty (sarcasm, people!). So as a result, I wore shorts on top of that.

Anyway, my goal was to finish under a 10:00 min/mi pace and I literally missed it by seconds! My official chip time was 0:50:05, 10:01 min/mi pace. (Coincidentally, that was the exact same pace as my 5K run the day before.) I guess I just need to focus on pushing myself harder during races.

We also got cute Turkey Trot long sleeve T-shirts - here's me posing with mine (picture taken before I helped my mom rake all those leaves):

Now bring on the pumpkin and pecan pies!
After Thanksgiving, I was too pre-occupied with early Christmas shopping and getting ready for my nephew's baptism. So I guess 5 miles was my long run for the week. No biggie.

This weekend I'd like to do 14 miles. I want to run somewhere other than the LG creek trail. I guess I could run in the city - like along the Embarcadero to the bridge, or maybe tackle the dish in Palo Alto? Suggestions, anyone?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...