Today's Take It and Run Thursday theme is ....Running In The Heat.
Heat is my running kryptonite - I'm pretty much powerless in its presence. And unfortunately for me, my marathon experiences were plagued by that little devil. It beat me down for sure.
So I'm definitely no expert in running in the heat, BUT here are some tips to help mitigate the effects:
Tips from 2007 Chicago Marathon:
- As always, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - luckily for me, I happened to be carrying a water bottle that day (which I normally never do). Once the water from the aid stations *and* my bottle ran out, I came across several nice Chicago folks that offered to refill my bottle instead
- As suggested by a nice Chicago resident, I took her baggie of ice cubes and shoved it in my sports bra
- Drench yourself in water - such as running through the fire hydrant streams and water hoses. Sometimes I would just stand there getting drenched - it was great. (But don't drench yourself with water cups from the aid station!)
- When I was in shaded parts of the course, I would try to regroup mentally and prepare myself to be able to battle the sunny, hotter parts of the course.
Tips from 2008 Disney Marathon:
- The heat wasn't so bad there but there was also humidity to deal with
- Biofreeze worked wonders! I stopped at every medical station to lather that stuff all over. I think it's intended more for muscle pains but it had a great cooling effect.
Anyway, that's all I got - can't wait to read everyone else's tips.