Friday, September 4, 2009

Running in Hawaii

So after NYC, I was home for a little bit and then I joined my cousin, Lizette, and her family for a little trip to Hawaii!!! Oahu, specifically, and it was a blast! I had gone there before in 1998 and did a lot of the "touristy" stuff but this time I got the "local" experience as my cousin and her hubby used to live there.

Lizette and I are planning to run the Nike Women's Half marathon together so technically, we are in training. Thus, she was able to convince me to go running with her one morning. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of running in Hawaii. I'm just not so crazy about running in 80 degree sunny weather.

But it ended up being a lot of fun! I brought my camera along so I could take some pictures along the way.

We started at Waikiki beach.



Where they had lots of pretty palm trees.



We ran along Diamond Head road and passed the Real World Hawaii house.



This was taken at a lookout point where you could see lots of surfers.



Running down Kahala road...



Finally reaching the Kahala Resort at the end! We treated ourselves to a fancy schmancy beachside lunch.



We ended up doing almost 5 miles. Luckily I didn't know the distance of the route before we started :) I drank practically my entire water bottle during the run. The sun and heat were killing me! But I'm really glad we did it, it was fun girl time plus lots of good sightseeing.

12 comments:

Oz Runner said...

hawaii, wow..color me jealous....what beautiful scenery to run in, as long as the heat isn't too bad...

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful. Looks like you had a nice trip.

Jeri said...

wow beautiful pictures. super jealous of this hot/sweaty/humid mess of a run. :p

Mica said...

Ahhh, it's so pretty! What an awesome place to run. (Minus the sun and humidity, of course.)

Jamie said...

So pretty. Looks like a nice run!

Runner Leana said...

Wow, it looks like a beautiful run! That is the thing about vacations...I love getting to run someplace new with some amazing scenery!!

Aron said...

ohhhh hawaii... sigh. i want to be there right now :)

joyRuN said...

I don't like running in the heat either, but that scenery looks worth it!

Sarah Kathryn said...

Eighty?! That ain't NOTHING in the sun :) Teasing you ... I am so glad you got to run in HI - who can really say that!?

Unknown said...

It's bad that 80 feels cool to me now. Gorgeous pics!

Alisa said...

Fun times! I'll have to get that running route from you since I'll be there next month.

Bring on the sunshine!

RoadBunner said...

Still bummed we didn't overlap in Hawaii. I started early enough to be done by 7:30 am every day. Couldn't handle the heat/sun after that time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...