Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Thoughts for 2009...

Like everyone else, I've been compiling my race list for 2009 for quite awhile now. So although I haven't been actually running, I have been thinking about it - that counts for something, right? (Right?)

First, here is the list of anything and everything that sounded appealing to me...

2009 "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" Race Calendar (blue = bike, green = duathlon) (UPDATE: Just to clarify, I don't plan to do all of these - they are just the master list of race ideas)
  • Feb 1st: KP Half Marathon or 5K
  • March 15th: Emerald Across the Bay 12K
  • March 22nd: Mermaid 5K/10K/Half Marathon - Mountain View, CA
  • April 4th: Cinderella Classic (65 mi)
  • May 17th: Cleveland Half Marathon
  • May 30th: See Jane Run Half Marathon - Alameda
  • June 7th: Mermaid Duathlon - Fremont
  • June 7th: America's Most Beautiful Ride - Lake Tahoe
  • July 12th: LiveStrong - 5K or Bike ride
  • July 19th: Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon
  • July 26th: SF Marathon / Half Marathon / 5K
  • September 27th: Mermaid Duathlon - Santa Cruz
  • October 18th: Nike Women's Half Marathon
  • November 1st: ING NYC Marathon
  • November 14th: Mermaid 5K/10K Run - San Francisco, CA
  • November 15th: Big Sur Half Marathon
  • November 26th: Cleveland Turkey Trot
  • December 6th: California International Marathon
  • January 2010: Goofy Challenge, Walt Disney World

But after the craziness of 2008, I think one of my main goals for 2009 is to simply: s p a c e * m y * r a c e s * o u t ! ! !

Also, I've really only run once since Nike so when I get back to running next week, I'll have to rebuild my base all over again. I might be interested in running the KP half again (especially now that it is chip timed - FINALLY!) but I just don't think a month will be enough training for me to run a decent race.

So here is what I *think* I will shoot for:

2009 Race Targets

  • May 17th: Cleveland Half Marathon
  • June 7th: Mermaid Duathlon - Fremont
  • July 19th: Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon (already registered with Team ROHO!)
  • October 18th: Nike Women's Half Marathon (assuming I get in)
  • November 1st: ING NYC Marathon (*** at least do the lottery to maintain my shot for 2011)
  • December 6th: California International Marathon (goal: sub-5:00 finish which would mean a PR by 25 minutes - shoot for the stars, right???)
  • January 2010: Goofy Challenge, Walt Disney World (goal: finish and have fun)

I might try to squeeze in some 5Ks and bike rides in there as well, but I will just play it by ear.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is planning to do!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just compiling my list of races I want to do next year as well and there are SO many! lol I need to adopt your goal of spacing races out for next year, especially full marathons! Yay for the Napa to Sonoma half!!! Go team RoHo!!! Have a happy and safe holiday! :)

RoadBunner said...

What a list! I'm going to really think about mine sometime today or tomorrow, too. You'll love the Fremont Mermaid Du. I did it last year and it was great. I am undecided if I'm going to be doing any bike events next year.

What are your thoughts on pairing CIM with Goofy? I am planning on doing Goofy again in 2010, too. I was thinking of doing CIM (also as a PR attempt) but wasn't sure if that would be too close. I'm curious to see what you think about that.

joyRuN said...

Geez - thank goodness you clarified. I thought the first list was THE list, & was overwhelmed just reading it.

Happy training!!

Anonymous said...

It is so much fun trying to plan a race schedule. Your 2009 looks great. Hope you have a wonderful and fun holiday.

Mica said...

That's such a busy 2009, race-wise! I need to scope out some races. When you make a plan, do you always stick to it or is there some wiggle room?

audgepodge said...

Roadrunner - Yes, I am definitely concerned with pairing CIM and Goofy. I want to do well on CIM but even to just "survive" Goofy will require a decent training plan. The tough part is that I will have to commit to Goofy next month! It will definitely require a creative training plan, that's for sure!

Mica - No, I am horrible at sticking to a plan! In fact, I can think of at least two races that I registered for that I skipped (the shame!!!). BUT - if I'm training for a half or full, I am usually pretty good with getting my long runs in... but I am horrible with keeping up with the mid-week runs. I suppose I could add that to my 2009 goals :)

Julianne said...

Yay! You're doing the KP Half, too!! Woohooooo! I'm thinking about the Emerald Bay 12k, also. :-) Oh and am definitely doing the See Jane Run half. And of course, the SFM and Nike!! Loved that race last year. I'm hoping to get into the NYC Marathon by lottery, too!!

tfh said...

Looks like a terrific list! You have so many great races out there in CA...

RoadBunner said...

Last year I did Goofy and Napa which was 6 weeks apart, I think. I did Goofy at a comfortable pace and had a lot of fun. I raced Napa and got a 15 min PR. I thought the tremendous endurance building for Goofy was a great build-up for a speedy marathon afterwards.

CIM and Goofy are the exact reverse. We'd be trying a speedy PR followed by a tremendous endurance feat. I believe they will be 5 weeks apart. I'm trying to figure out if there's enough extra recovery time after a race attempt plus would you do the long-run doubles before CIM or just after?

But then you know, some people are Maniacs and run two marathons a week apart. So maybe I'm just over-worrying. Haha.

Marathon Maritza said...

Whoa Audrey, what a list! So awesome! I know the feeling of not being able to decide amongst all the races...but hooray for Napa to Sonoma! So excited about that one!

Have a wonderful holiday and happy new year! Team ROHO is gonna rock it in 09!

Aron said...

ohhh awesome list!! i cant wait to run some of these with you!! im going to check out a bunch of those shorter races too - i am looking for some good 5 and 10ks!

i ran see jane run last year and its really fun and they give out great stuff :) i would totally do it again but its the same weekend as SD :( booo.

have a great holiday girl and i will see you next week!!!

E said...

Your list looks great! Happy holidays!

Steve Stenzel said...

Wow! That's a nice looking year! Have a good 2009!

Merry Christmas!!

Laura said...

Good luck with the NYC lottery! I'm running it this year and would love to see you there :)

P.O.M. said...

Wow, that's a lot of races!

I'm still trying to figure out my 2009 marathon....hhmmm maybe CIM...

Alisa said...

No San Diego??? Sad...everyone else is running it! JK

That's quite a list of races. I'm thinking Disney maybe in 2010...looks like a fun one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...